Sunday, April 12, 2009

Finally, A Happy Thing

You've probably already seen this.  It made me laugh, and sing along, and laugh some more.  I told S. that I thought it was because everyone secretly harbors the fantasy that one day their life will turn into a musical number, where everyone sings and dances in a seemingly impromptu manner. He then informed me that actually, not everyone wishes this.  I was shocked, shocked I tell you, to hear that!  So I did the only thing one can when one suffers a great disillusionment: I spent the rest of the weekend on the couch with the cat, watching "The Sound of Music", which was conveniently broadcast on cable, as well as "Mamma Mia" (which I found much less grating on DVD).

A writer at Salon.com offered an explanation of this video's popularity, which I'm still mulling over.  I don't think it redeemed my faith in humanity at all - it just made me wish harder for my life to have a soundtrack.

No comments: