Sunday, April 19, 2009

Weekend Sewing

In lieu of anything else, I'll share my latest sewing project.  It's completely ridiculous for me to start anything new, given all of the other unfinished things lying around, and even more so because this will be a queen-sized quilt when it is finished (give me at least a year, since I hand quilt).  At any rate, I bought some fabulous batik fabrics (which I love dearly but hate paying for, because at $10/yard it's painful), and decided to use the Double Irish Chain pattern from the book "Quilts from the Quiltmaker's Gift".  'Cause, y'know, what else would you make out of Indian-inspired prints than an Irish quilt pattern???

I've actually made this quilt a number of times, usually in a baby size; it is very easy to piece, and it's great for showing off a nice, juicy fabric like the multi-colored batik here.  I am very fond of this book - none of the quilter's I know (all seven or eight of them) use it, but I think it is one of the best for beginner quilters (which I still think of myself as, even though I've been doing this for 15 years).  It has some very simple as well as more complicated patterns, and I've been really pleased with all of the ones that I have made.  

The fabric colors are much darker than they seem in this photo - here it almost looks like a pastel baby quilt.  I  must confess that I am really on the fence about the yellow.  I thought it would work well since the other two prints are so busy, but it seems to be really overpowering everything.  I'm kind of at the point of no return now, so I'm sticking with it...I just hope it looks better once the whole thing is put together.


Of course, I had some help sewing this afternoon...


No comments: