Thursday, September 25, 2008

Seriously?

About the time last night when Bush uttered the words, "The market is not working", I just about fell off my couch. He might have just as well have said, "We're taking over the airline industry because gravity has stopped working". I mean really, it's preposterous: the market is doing exactly what it's supposed to do when institutions make billions of dollars of loans their customers can't pay. There's nothing wrong with the market, there's something wrong with how these loans happened to be created in the first place. Which, by the way, was not the market's decision, but the decision of people in institutions who made some really bad calls, possibly out of greed.

I feel like I'm missing something, and I really wish I'd paid way more attention in those god-awful economics classes I had to take in college. Because I feel like things are really, really bad; bad in ways I cannot comprehend; and in some perverse way having Bush pre-empt David Blaine's latest stupid trick does not assuage me at all. It just makes me wonder, what don't I know?

And seriously? Go read the book "Half Asleep In Frog Pajamas" by Tom Robbins. I'm going to go find my old deck of Tarot cards and start counting frogs.

No comments: