Sunday, January 25, 2009

Happy Sunday Afternoon

Today I found nirvana. Well, maybe not exactly nirvana, but pretty darned close. Excellent quilt fabric, good yarn, and a store in an old mill...what's not to love? It's a good thing they had no chocolate, or I never would have left.

It's the Franklin Mill Store, which I pass by twice a day on my new commuter rail line. I went expecting yarn only, and was happily surprised to find Amy Butler fabrics as well as great batiks. I actually refrained from buying any yarn, but only because I was trying to keep to a $20 budget and the fabric was just too tempting. The only downside was, the store didn't have a lot of quarter cuts, which is what I generally buy for art projects. I don't know if they just don't carry much of them, or if they were just running low. Regardless, I got one yard of a beautiful yellow, purple and teal batik print, which is so amazing I want to eat it, and then one of the few packages of quarter yards that I could find, which had six batiks in purples and blues. The main purchase is now draped over my sewing table, and I want to make about six different things with it RIGHT NOW. I should have bought more...but at $9.50 a yard, I couldn't justify buying more without a concrete project in mind.

I did not forage into the Amy Butler bolts, considering it dangerous territory. I also didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the other fabrics they carry, because I was too busy salivating over the batiks. Really high quality batiks can be hard to find, and I'm overjoyed to have a place fairly close by that carries them. Now, all I need is MORE TIME to make stuff...and this week will be a BEAR - I have two huge deadlines.  I must keep reminding myself that it's never as bad as I think it will be...

No comments: