Monday, January 19, 2009

Love A Day Off (Monday Miscellany)

1) My weekend plans of having my friends all here totally got trounced by yesterday's snowstorm. I'm bummed about this, but that's what I get for trying to plan anything in January.
2) Since I had stocked up on groceries (anticipating company), I went ahead and actually cooked something -- a bastardization of Moosewood's Peruvian Quinoa Stew. I use yellow squash instead of zucchini, and throw in ground turkey. Instead of eating it on quinoa (or rice, or couscous) I eat it with tortilla chips, kind of like a really chunky dip, because otherwise it would be a relatively healthy thing to eat. My point, though, is that I can actually cook when I make my mind up to do it.
3) At the suggestion of my 8-year old niece, I have drastically cut back on the consumption of carbonated beverages, and my stomach feels 90% better. I'm sure my health insurance company would be thrilled to know that they just shelled out oodles of money for a CT scan when really, I just had to lay off the Diet Pepsi and carbonated Poland Spring water. And I'm sure my doctor would be thrilled to know that she was out-diagnosed by an 8-year old, although to be fair the 8-year old was well aware that I start the day with Diet Pepsi. And to some extent I feel a little idiotic about it all, like "why didn't I think of that?", except that I've been drinking Diet Pepsi for breakfast since...oh geez, 1995??? (And, the pain is not completely gone, so it may be that the soda was just exacerbating something else.)
4) I spent this morning hand quilting, which is difficult when the cat wants to sit on the quilt in progress. He's been exceptionally grumpy the past few days, and I'm not sure what his problem is.
5) I just discovered that Netflix has meditation and yoga DVD's. How did I miss this?
6) I am simultaneously totally unmotivated this afternoon and feeling immense pressure to GO DO SOMETHING, since I've been cooped up in the house since about 4 pm on Saturday. None of my options seem compelling enough to actually make me want to change into non-pajama-type clothing, though. And I'm already bemoaning the fact that I don't get another day off from work until February. I really miss having lots of vacation...
7) I think Bush looks just as relieved as the rest of us.

No comments: