Monday, June 15, 2009

A Few UFO's (UnFinished Objects)

I've been reading Julia Cameron's book "Walking In This World", where (among other good things) she suggests that us artists try actually finishing some things.  In that vein, I am endeavoring to finish some long-lingering projects cluttering up my workbaskets.  There are many more to be unearthed, but these two are currently at the top of the pile:

1.  I found these blocks while unpacking, and vividly remember the night ~2 years ago when, in a rare fit of drinking two glasses of wine, I sewed them up.  The blocks are a little wonky (never drink and sew!), and the color choices...well.  I can't decide what I think about them, frankly, and it honestly seems to depend upon the light.  At night, I like them...but in the bright light of day they make me cringe.  Also, I have utterly no clue what to use as a border, having used up all the fabrics.
  I believe this is the "Next Door Neighbor" Pattern from "More Quilts from The Quiltmaker's Gift" by Joanne Larsen Line.

2.  Look, non-train knitting!  A rare find in these here parts lately, I know.  This is a wonderful,  oatmeal-colored alpaca yarn from Frog Tree, which I bought at Knitty City in NYC over a year ago.  With any luck, this will be a baby sweater for my as-yet-unborn cousin (or perhaps second cousin?  I can never remember...).  This is a completely impractical thing to make out of alpaca, as it is hand-wash only and babies are not exactly synonymous with that term...but the yarn is so soft and cuddly that one can easily imagine a baby swaddled up in it.  (Pattern is the "wrap top" from "Easy Baby Knits" by Claire Montgomerie).

No comments: