Sunday, June 7, 2009

My Vacation: A Rundown

1)  I moved.
2) I went to NYC to see S.
3) I got a hair cut -- which really deserves its own post, since I had 8 inches cut off.  I had not had a haircut in a whole year, and it was really cathartic having it chopped off; as if I was just cutting away the past year.  
4) I made a tablecloth.  The fabric store  had made one for a display table, and I wanted it in the worst way.  Amy Butler fabrics; no "pattern", but the nice lady at the store sketched out directions for me:


5) I made chocolate-chip banana bread, the recipe for which I found in this book.  It uses whole-milk yogurt instead of butter or oil, and I have to say it is the best recipe I've found yet.  I leave out the ginger, though.
6) I am, at this very moment, awaiting baked macaroni and cheese, which I have never made before.  Now that I have to pay rent, I can't keep spending ridiculous amounts of money on lunch, and so I'm trying out some recipes to see what I can take into work with me.  

In between all this was a lot of packing, unpacking, and cleaning, not to mention a significant amount of cat wrangling, soothing, and entertaining.  He seems to have adjusted, more or less, although I think he feels a little confined here.  Frankly, so do I:  we went from a four-bedroom, three-bath house with a full basement, to a one-bedroom apartment.  There's just not that much room for him to hide, or for me to spread out.  My biggest challenge is setting up my sewing space - there really isn't room for it in the living/dining area, but that's where the TV/DVD player is, and I really like to watch movies while sewing.  

I will say that while I don't exactly feel rested (despite having slept until 10:30 this morning...), I do feel a lot more sane, and less stressed (obviously, because one of the major things stressing me out was the move).  The trouble is, every time I unpack something I think, "Oh God, I'm going to have to pack this again at some point".  It's just a little overwhelming, is all I'm saying!

No comments: