Saturday, June 20, 2009

From the "Archives" (Happiness Project)

In the process of moving out of my sister's house, I found a quilt I had made for my nephew several years ago (maybe 6 or 7 years ago? yikes!).  It is one of my favorite things I've ever made, even if the applique isn't perfect (Ernie's eyes are a little crossed, and Kermit looks like he's ascending to heaven...).  Still, it makes me laugh out loud every time I look at it, and so I borrowed it to hang in my office.  Luckily, I work at a place where hanging Muppets on your wall is encouraged.

This is not a great photo, I know.  First, the lighting in my office apparently stinks, and second of all my old digital camera is not the greatest when it comes to taking indoor pictures (I am still craving a Nikon and saving my pennies...).  But I wanted to share this anyway, because part of why it makes me ridiculously happy is that it makes me remember my nephew as the cutest, sweetest little boy that ever lived -- and frankly, he still is now that he is almost 11.  Best. Boy kid.  Ever.  This has been independently confirmed.  And, he and his sisters, along with my sister and brother-in-law, are here for the summer now (flew in last night!), and I am deliriously happy to have them close by, at least for the next 8 weeks.  

The Muppet blocks are from the book "Quilting With The Muppets", which I heartily recommend even if you don't sew; I thought it gave a really great look into the people at Sesame Workshop who have entertained us all for generations.  The book gives you basic Muppet block templates, and then you are free to design a quilt however you wish - I thought this was great, but probably not for a just-starting-out quilter.  There are many examples of quilts made by Sesame employees over the years that can provide inspiration.  (The patchwork blocks are a mishmash of me playing with fabric and using some plastic templates that I think came from my grandmother. )

No comments: