Friday, February 5, 2010

Happiness Project: Proofs of Love

I'm following along on Gretchen Rubin's Happiness Project challenge. This is my seventh installment:


February’s Happiness Project topic is LOVE. Truthfully, it’s hard to write about romantic relationships when you are not in one. It’s particularly difficult to write about CHOOSING to not be in a relationship at the ripe old age of 38 ½ , without it sounding like sour grapes or some pathetic attempt at justifying one’s inability to find a mate.


Believe me, I tried.


So, without going into the boring and painful details, suffice it to say that for a variety of reasons, I needed a break – a time out, if you will, from the quest for a romantic relationship. It’s not that I don’t want one, or would turn one down if it happened, it’s just that it became clear that I really needed to work on myself for awhile. I needed to establish for myself that I could be happy “all by myselps”, as my nephew liked to say when he was little….hence the Happiness Project.


(I strongly suspect my father wishes I would embark on a “Find a Nice Boy and Settle Down” project. Maybe next year.)


Alas, the challenge this week is “proofs of love” – finding small ways of making sure the people in your life know you love them. Honestly? As some of you know, when my sister and her family relocated to California for a couple of years I got possession of their cat, Wilbert. And I feel like I prove my love for my nieces and nephew each and every morning at 4:30 am, when Wilbert starts howling at me to get up and watch him eat. Because only for those children would I put up with such nonsense.


Trust me, he just looks all cute and innocent.


1 comment:

Karen said...

Cute YES--- but innocent never goes with a cat. (having many myself, I can say that with a smile) :-)