Sunday, February 14, 2010

Knitting Olympics - Day 3

I decided to participate in the Yarn Harlot's Knitting Olympics this year. Inspired by Amanda Blake Soule, I decided to knit a Tomten from the Elizabeth Zimmermann book Knitting Without Tears. But since the intended recipient is a yet-to-be-born baby who will be growing up in a southern state, I chose a cotton/wool blend yarn (Four Seasons by Classic Elite) in a nice shade of spring green. I am not fond of knitting with cotton, as it is not as forgiving as wool (or even bamboo), and I am a bit anxious about whether this yarn will work with this pattern. So that's one part of the challenge. The second part of the challenge for me is that despite this being an easy garter stitch pattern, I am not 100% sure I understand the instructions. I have never knit a Zimmermann pattern before, and it strikes me as being quite similar to playing guitar - her "instructions" are more a guide, just as guitar music provides the chords but not the strumming patterns. There's some interpretation involved, I guess is what I'm trying to say.

I dutifully cast on Friday night during the opening ceremonies, which I enjoyed tremendously, despite the fact that the Olympics always give me an existential crisis, of the "what have I done with MY life lately?!?!" variety. But I really couldn't put my whole heart into a new knitting project until those darned socks were finished. Finally, this afternoon, voila:

And why yes, indeed, I do have ridiculously small feet.

No comments: