Monday, April 14, 2008

Mid-Day Rant

Tudor revival architecture really bugs me. I can’t explain why, but it has a nails-on-the-chalkboard effect with me. So, so very icky, particularly the brown-boards-on-white-masonry crap. It reminds me of Hansel and Gretel, a story I hated as a kid. I have utterly no idea what wires in my brain fused to make that correlation, but there it is.

I bring this up because today I made my final Metro-North train trip to Westchester County, and it’s just mile after mile of these fake Tudor houses, train stations, and stores. Even on buildings that aren’t Tudor, there are references, such as the steep gables, that are totally out of context to the rest of the building. I loathe and detest it.

I was very conscious of this being my last trip, even at 2 am when I was still wiiiiiide awake. It wasn’t the neighbors this time (they shut down around midnight), I just couldn’t turn my brain off. The alarm went off at 5:45, and I kept hitting the snooze button until 7 am. I’m supposed to leave at 7:15 to get the train, so you can sort of imagine what a mess I was. I did make the train, but without my usual caffeine and sugar fix. Then, I got to work to discover that the meeting I thought was at 11 was rescheduled for 1:30. This meeting was the sole purpose of my journey north, and that increased my crankiness substantially. 

My newly revised schedule of things to-do: finish taxes tonight, laundry tomorrow night, cleaning on Wednesday/Thursday.

And now, off to my meeting...

No comments: