Friday, May 9, 2008

Blissful Baking and Horrible Hair

My newly shorn hair was giving me fits this morning, so I decided it would be a stick-to-home sort of day. I leave in the morning to move into my sublet, so I began the odyssey of finding all of the crap that I have managed to scatter around T.'s 3,000 square foot house. I never fail to amaze myself at my capacity to wreak havoc with clean spaces.

Speaking of which...this afternoon I got a hankering to make some WHO bread. I scurried out to the nearest supermarket to buy ingredients, and just for fun scoped out locally made items. This was by no means a scientific study, and it is still quite early for anything Maine grown, but it was pretty much a bust. As it turned out, Shaw's has
a bazillion things that are organic, but the only locally produced thing I could find, outside of Oakhurst milk, was maple syrup. I couldn't even find local honey, which I thought was just weird. I also thought there would at least be local asparagus up by now, but the sign at Shaw's said "Imported". From where, I wonder?

At any rate, it's been awhile since I baked anything from scratch. The cockroach population of my apartment building in NYC made leaving any food out (eg, rising bread) just Not A Good Idea, plus there was very little counter space to work
with. T. has a grand, well-equipped kitchen with lots of space, and after my reading I had to do SOMETHING that qualified as cooking. I was nervous about whether the bread would rise or not, but it poufed up just fine. The first pan is in the oven right now, and the smell of fresh bread is leaking out of the oven. Ahhhh.

Now, if I could just do something with my hair...



No comments: