Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Day One

Today was my first day at my new job. The job itself seems fine, but I fear the commute will kill me sooner or later. It's about an hour and a half each way, the morning segment of which includes:

*me stumbling down one flight of ridiculously narrow apartment stairs at the (for me) godawful hour of 7:30 am
*one short car trip, most of which is spent sitting at the world's longest light
*one episode of cramming money into those impossibly tiny little Central Parking pay board slots
*one hike up, over and down a train staircase (which I need to take a photo of; it's one of the strangest things I've ever seen)
*one train ride with seats that never fail to cause one or both of my legs to fall asleep
*one three block walk

The return home is the same, minus paying for parking and navigating the train stairs, but presents the additional challenge of trying to remember where I parked my car.

It seems surreal to be back in Boston, though. I lived here from 94-98 and so it is one part familiar, one part strange (because so much has changed since then). And, I'm taking the commuter rail rather than the T, so that element has been removed as well. But this place has some memories just the same, and I was a little annoyed with myself this morning as I replayed certain episodes in my head (particularly one involving a long late-night walk from Cambridge to Boston, which time has proven to be life-altering in ways I could scarcely imagine and still can't quite believe). And, well, y'know, if you are trying to get over someone, I'd advise you to look at a map before planning your next move so you don't accidentally wind up in the object of your affection's hometown 'hood. *sigh* (Seriously. I can't win.)

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Got an iPod? I have a 40 minute commute to work each day, and my iPhone is my friend. I subscribe to several podcasts, some released on a daily basis and they make the time pass very quickly. Audible.com is good too for audio books you can buy and listen to on the commute. You of course could actually read a real book, but for me, they're great for driving.